Friday 31 January 2014

Coriolanus


Last night, I was super excited to go and watch a live streaming of Coriolanus from the Donmar theatre in London. NTLive is a new idea of filming performances so people who cannot attend them can watch them live around the globe. I think it is suuuch a good idea as a lot of people, me included, cannot venture to London to see spectacular shows as often as they may like. Shockingly, all my English studies over the years have not exhausted my love of The Bard. Coriolanus is one of his lesser well known plays but still a great one. The main highlight of this performance though was definitely the fact that Tom Hiddleston was playing the protagonist: He was beautiful and amazing and dramtic and emotive and ohhh my, just fabulous. For those of you not as familiar with this play, it is set in Rome during a time of extreme political unrest. The people both desire and detest the thought of a leader emerging. Caius Martius Coriolanus eventually becomes said leader despite his distaste for the general public. This all bites him on the ass though when he is discovered and exiled leading him to actions that few audiences are predicting and culminating in a climax that leaves a hush throughout theatres (and now cinemas alike).
NTLive are also scheduled to screen War Horse, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime and King Lear. I think I will give War Horse a miss as I reaaally want to see it on stage but I definitely want to see King Lear as it is a play I have studied in a lot of depth and it is directed by the incredible talent that is Sam Mendes. I can't wait.

What do you think of this new idea of opening up the theatre to a wider audience? Will you be going to any NTLive screenings?

Becca.

Oh, I also realised just how nerdy I really am when I got crazy excited to see that the guy who plays Dean Thomas in the Harry Potter films was also in this production...

No comments:

Post a Comment